Friday 29 October 2010

No longer scared of dying but a little disturbed.

 This happened a few months ago.

As a regular cyclist I could say I have had a few near death experiences at the mercy of distracted or impatient drivers but this was nothing like that.

I have been a rational atheist and as long as I remember and never been in denial about the fact I will die some day even from a really young age but then something happened that really freaked me out.

Nothing special happened that day and therefore I wasn't particularly stressed or tired. I retired at the normal time to bed and dreamed away. I don't always get enough sleep to dream but there was no late night online poker or work that evening.

I have no idea what time it happened but I was not myself and whoever I am was dying. There was no falling off a cliff, accidents or drama I was just laid somewhere.

It wasn't scary or distressing in any way it was surreal, tranquil and unbelievably serene. I can't explain the feeling of being at absolutely at peace and without fear. There were no bright lights or tunnels but the strangest feeling that I was separate from the body. There are no words to describe just how serene it was. I left that place wherever it was and continued my sleep.

I was in no hurry to leave the dream and woke at the normal time relaxed and refreshed but with an air of calm.

Later that day I found out that my wife's uncle, who I had met on a few occasions but lived quite a distance away, had died. He had been in a coma for a few months after a heart procedure and had passed away peacefully in hospital!!

It did make me think a little but I have no reason to suddenly become religious I am happy being quasi Buddhist.

No comments:

Post a Comment